Senior Full-stack React Native Developer
RiseUp is looking for a full-stack react native developer to help strengthen American democracy and civic life.
If you’re both talented and pragmatic; if you want to write software that solves actual, real world problems; if you want to do something about the state of the world; and would be excited to get in on the ground floor of an awesome early stage startup, then this might be the job for you.
Who we are:
RiseUp is a venture-backed seed stage political/civic tech company led by founders with proven track records and interested investors. Our mission is to provide a real-time, mobile-first platform for civic engagement and social change. We are a team of top notch technologists and well-respected activists and organizers. We believe that engaged and empowered communities are essential to functioning democracies, and are building tools to make it easier for people to have an impact in their own backyards and beyond.
You describe yourself as someone who:
- Loves the idea of working at a highly effective, mission-driven company
- Ships working software as quickly as possible without sacrificing stability, privacy, or security
- Loves to design and implement highly scalable, slick, and fast mobile and web applications
- Is a design oriented developer
- Finds the idea of non-negotiable, hard deadlines exciting
- Communicates pragmatic solutions clearly and can understand where engineering tasks fit within the big picture
- Prefers to do load testing and capacity planning over firefighting
- Considers user accessibility and 508 compliance essential, not optional
- Asks questions, seeks answers, and is constantly working towards mastery of the tools and technologies you use
- If based outside of San Francisco, is comfortable and has experience working remotely
You’ll bring the following skills and experiences to RiseUp:
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science (or equivalent experience)
- Experience in building consumer facing mobile apps with compatible desktop-web and mobile-web experience that support a large number of users
- Ability to program efficiently in React.js and React Native
- Demonstrable portfolio of released applications on the App store or the Android market
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and Deep-linking for Mobile App Tracking and Engagement
- Ability to break down complex system requirements into discrete shippable features
- Ability to take initiative and work collaboratively
You have some of the following bonus skills:
- Experience with Political/Civic Tech a huge plus!
- Experience working with Postgres
- Familiarity with *nix (Mac OS X, Ubuntu, CentOS, etc.) based development and execution environments
- Experience working with AWS
- Practical, hands-on experience with modern Agile development methodologies (XP, Scrum, TDD)
- Experience building software from scratch
- Experience with advocacy or campaign work (including, but not limited to, political campaigns)
- Experience working for a mission-driven organization
- Experience building accessible software and testing for accessibility
- Solid written and communication skills
- This is a full-time position reporting directly to the CTO
- You would work closely with the co-founders, CEO, CTO, and Head of Product to help define and build the technology platform in collaboration with one other full-time engineer and two part-time engineers.
- RiseUp is an equal opportunity employer. This means that we don't discriminate against people because of their race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation.
- Women, people of color, first-generation Americans, people with working class backgrounds, new parents, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQI community are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send resume and a statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.